Sunday 11 January 2009

Word of the day: "Ebullition"

It has two meanings: the first I absolutely love, meaning a sudden, unrestrained expression of emotion. It's lovely, no? "Upon feeling warmth in the sun for the first time this year, I let out an ebullition of joy." 
Secondly it means simply the state or appearance of boiling: "Oh, the kettle's ebullited. Soya milk, no sugar please..."

Anyway, apparently 'ebullition' is derived from the Latin word ebullire, which means 'to bubble up'.
I love it... Encapsulating the idea of bubbling, fizzing emotions. So powerful and intense you just have to shout about it! Those moments of sheer joy, euphoria... I guess it could go the other way too - feelings of grief, shock, pain, anger etc. Anything and everything, as long as you feel it strongly... Ahh, I love the English language. There are some real hidden gems in there which I've been discovering in a book my auntie ChloĆ« bought me for christmas - Foyle's Philavery: A treasury of unusual words. It's brilliant. I'm trying to have a word of the day and actually learn some of them, but this is proving easier said than done.

Yesterday I almost had an ebullition at the cinema when I went to see Defiance. It was an incredible film and I would recommend it highly... however I happened to be sitting next to a group of obnoxious little shits who talked the WHOLE way through, which was very irritating and distracting and made me want to punch every one of them right in the mouth. Literally, I was so pissed off... Watching such a horrific, engaging film and trying to soak it all in with some chav dildo farting and sniggering right next to me. Damnit! 
Oh well, I told them to shut up, then got so freaked out at my own boldness that I had to sit back in my seat, breathe calmly for about 5 minutes and have some water. Haha, I'm obviously not made for confrontation. Either that or I'm a coward... Hmm. Maybe a bit of both, I don't know. 

So anyway, those bastards ruined the cinematic experience slightly. I'd love to see Defiance again, it had some beautiful photography/filmography, whatever you wanna call it - and it was even more amazing for it being a true story. It'd be great to learn more about the actual Jewish camp that was built in the forest to be honest. I think the Second World War was one of the most hideous but important things to have happened in recent history, I hate feeling so ignorant about it. But it's so necessary to know about it, know about our history. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree doing art?! I should become a historian.

2 comments:

  1. Well that sucks, but anyways nice blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. no you're not.
    if you weren't an artist you probably wouldn't appreciate the past as much as you do.

    ReplyDelete